Overseas Memorial Search

 

The Cavalry Memorial

Description

The Memorial features a bronze figure, cast from guns taken by the Cavalry in the Great War, of St George slaying the dragon. Behind the statue is a wall inscribed with the names of all of the British, Indian, Australian, Canadian, New Zealand and Pakistani Cavalry Regiments of the First World War. Around the base of the statue are depictions of Cavalrymen from each country (Australian Lighthorseman and New Zealand Mounted Rifleman for example). The inscription on the memorial reads ‘Erected by the Cavalry of the Empire in memory of comrades who gave their lives in the war 1914-1919 also in the war 1939-1945 and on active service thereafter’.


History

A monument erected to the 'Cavalry of the Empire', commemorating those who fell in both world wars.

The Cavalry Memorial originally stood at Stanhope Gate off Park Lane and was unveiled on 21st May 1924 by Field Marshal Lord Ypres. It was relocated to its current position on the South East side of Hyde Park in 1961.

On the Sunday of the first weekend of May each year, the memorial is the focus of an annual parade called Cavalry Memorial Day or ‘CavMem’ for short. All of the Cavalry Regiments of the British Army (including, as of 2007, the Royal Tank Regiment) attend with current serving members joined by veterans and ex-serving members of the Old Comrades Associations.


Construction information

Designed by Adrian Jones.

Constructed by British Government and maintained by the local authorities in Hyde Park.


Location

London, England.

South East side of Hyde Park.

 

Click to enlarge
The Cavalry Memorial

Inscription